History & Information
The Hollister Ranch is a 14,400 acre area of land located just south of Point Conception, at the northernmost edge of the area known as "Southern California." The Ranch is a cattle ranch that is sparsely developed with homes on large, agriculturally zoned, 100 minimum acre parcels. The Ranch contains approximately 8.5 miles of Pacific Ocean shoreline, an area characterized as empty points and coves, rolling hillsides, and beach bluffs.
"The Hollister Ranch Owners’ Association seeks to develop and maintain Hollister Ranch in a manner that ensures the full enjoyment of the historical traditions and natural advantages of the area for all who acquire property therein and yet encourages diverse individual expression within the environment. The Hollister Ranch Owners’ Association believes that this fundamental concept can serve the interests of those who become such owners by fostering a beneficial land use that retains the unique beauty of the land and creates an atmosphere enriching the spirit of its participants." - CC&Rs, 1971
History & Region
The Ranch was part of the 1794 Rancho Nuestra Señora del Refugio Spanish land grant to José Francisco Ortega. This was the only land grant under Spanish rule in Santa Barbara County, California. The grant encompassed much of the Gaviota Coast.
In 1869, William Hollister and his family acquired the Ranch property, and began using it for cattle ranching. It has been a working cattle ranch ever since. On average, approximately 500,000 pounds of beef are shipped annually from the Ranch.
In 1971, the Ranch was subdivided into 136 separate, approximately 100 acre parcels, and some common areas. 133 of the parcels are now privately owned. The other 3 lots are commonly owned by the Hollister Ranch Owners' Association and used for administrative, cattle ranching, and other common purposes.
The land located to the west of the Ranch is privately owned and includes the Dangermond Preserve, owned by the Nature Conservancy. The Santa Ynez mountains lie along the northern boundary of the Ranch. The Pacific Ocean lies along the Ranch's southern boundary.
A private, paved two-lane road wins through the Ranch from east to west, located approximately a quarter mile to a half mile inland from the shore--unpaved and paved roads branch off to the south and north from the main Ranch road at various points. Railroad tracks controlled and used by the Union Pacific Railroad lie between the main Ranch road and the beach.
Along the Ranch's 8.5 mile shoreline, along the bluffs near the shore are three small, historic beach cabañas that include a picnic area, bathrooms, and showers.
How do Hollister Ranch Owners & their Guests Access the Ranch?
Hollister Ranch Owners' Association (HROA), Board of Directors, Committees, & Activities